Tuesday, October 28, 2014

My First Gig!

Assalamualaikum,

As I am typing this, I actually have some reading for labs to do. But..... let's take a break, its very tedious! Especially when it comes to heat exchanger, phewww.

So last Thursday, I had my first gig performance with the SheffUniSamba band. Well, I played tamborim or better known as tam. It's basically a tambourines without cymbals where you hit it with a special stick carrying a high-pitched rhythmic phrasing. 

Yep this is it! (Picture from google)

Well, the band gathered at the cupboard (where we store the instruments) in the Students' Union (SU) around 10pm then went off to The Harley, just stone throw away from SU. Since the atmosphere wasnt Muslim friendly and ya know, awkward because there's a quite a few people staring at me. Like what is this hijabi girl doing here haha. Nasib baik ade Azwan, Afiq and Heather for me to ease the nervousness. And not to mention, make my feel ok at that place. Felt both bad and good tho. 

Tunggu punya tunggu, finally we performed at 11.30pm. We played Afoxe and Samba Reggae. Good crowd weh! They quite dance along and like the performance. How I knew it? Because as I was sitting around waiting for the second round, a guy suddenly approached me and said, "Hey, I like your band. It's cool. *double thumbs up and walked away*"

Little that he know it boost up my confidence! And 12.30am, we once again performed. I like this crowd better mayn! They were all cooler than before (probably because some of them are getting high lol). And I was safe and sound in room at 1am. Well anyways, no harm done. New experience, wasnt carried away at all. And tell you what, that's my first and last midnight gig. Lepas ni nak main petang petang or at open spaces je. Kena ingat asal usul kita, masih Melayu, masih Islam :)

Jangan risau readers. I did not sip any liquids that night nor dance along. I sat back, and simply chat with the people. (I am glad my parents understands me)

Practise two days prior the first gig!
Waiting to perform.


Love, 
Mia <3






No comments:

Post a Comment